Cracking the Codes: "A Trip to the Grocery Store"
Goals of the Inclusion & Diversity Committee
It is the goal of the Inclusion and Diversity Committee to help the San Ramon Valley Council of PTAs continue building a community outreach program, through collaboration, to address inclusion and diversity within the San Ramon Valley. Promote acceptance of similarities and differences within our school communities, making schools and PTAs welcoming to all.
- Continue to share, evaluate and implement best practices in the areas of inclusion and diversity throughout our council.
- Continue promoting the use of welcoming committees and other tools to encourage family engagement and PTA membership.
- Continue to collaborate with on-campus student organizations to promote student awareness and participation.
- Attend Council IDC meetings
- Encourage sharing of ideas and IDC programs held at units council-wide
- Encourage parent involvement from the all groups in the school community
- Lead the planning of school-wide activities in support of the committee’s purpose and guiding principles. Examples might include:
- Cultural awareness event(s) that invite parents, students and staff to share their traditions with each other through traditional food, dance, artifacts, crafts and games
- A PTA welcome or buddy committee for families new to the school
- Help coordinate the school site’s observance of Words Matter Awareness Week (formerly known as No Name Calling Awareness Week)
- Take action on tasks suggested by the committee
Watch D.O.G.S. - Male Involvement Program
I am not a label
Words Matter Week
If you wouldn’t write it and sign it, don’t say it.
~ Earl Wilson
Words Matter Week focuses on the power that words can have in making others feel good about themselves or how words could bring others down. This is the third year we will be celebrating the week, and our hope is that the ongoing dialogue inspires students, staff, and parents to be mindful of the words they choose in day-to-day conversations, not only during this week of awareness, but all year long.
The San Ramon Valley Council of PTAs is proud to celebrate this weeklong celebration together with the District's Climate Committee. It is because of the partnership that our PTAs have with the school district, that we can achieve great things.
The Secret to Changing the World
Article from NPRED
The Evidence That White Children Benefit From Integrated Schools
Read this Interesting article from nprED to learn more.
Podcast from NPR Latino USA
When Students of Color Have White Teachers
Close to half the kids in America’s public schools are students of color. But the overwhelming majority of teachers are white. In Philadelphia, educators at John B. Stetson Charter School are trying to take culturally relevant approach to their classrooms.
Reporter Yowei Shaw went to Stetson to find out what kind of impact this approach is having on students of color.
This story comes from Raise Up, a project of Youth Speaks in collaboration with the Association of Independents in Radio, funding by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting as part of American Graduate.