The Legislative Advocacy Committee has been working hard to encourage every high school senior who is turning 18 to register to vote. We want students to understand that voting presents a unique opportunity to have an impact on the issues that affect them and their community. Since October of 2014 The Legislative Advocacy Committee has attempted to send EVERY high school senior in SRVUSD a birthday card on their 18th birthday! This card has both a link and a code to scan that makes registering to vote effortless. It is wonderful to see the excitement and appreciation it has generated in our community.
Thank you for the birthday card for my beautiful daughter!! ---Michelle, a Senior at California High School
ed100.org @ 2014 CAPTA Convention
Guide to School Funding in 2013-2014 from EdSource
A great overview for the beginner and the experienced education advocate on how school funding in CA will change after the Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF)/AB97.
Download an easy-to-read guide ...more
About the Legislative Advocacy Committee
Recipient of the 2008 National PTA Outstanding Advocacy Award
Our goal is to influence, within PTA guidelines, federal, state and local policy makers to pass laws and grant funding which will provide for the improvement and betterment of our public schools in both curriculum and facilities. In order to accomplish this goal, we will clarify legislative issues affecting our schools to the parent population and community at large, and encourage them to move to action.
Who We Are
We are the legislative advocacy committee of the San Ramon Valley Council of PTAs. The committee consists of representatives from elementary, middle and high school PTAs in the San Ramon Valley Council area, Council board members, the SRVUSD Superintendent, a teacher representative and a school board representative. A core committee consists of approximately 10 members of the whole legislative committee. The core committee receives, analyzes, and disseminates information from our federal and state legislature, and advises the legislative representative from each school on PTA positions taken. The legislative representative then informs their PTA and parent population.
- Lead letter-writing campaigns to federal, state and local policy makers
- Meet with legislative decision-makers in business and in government offices
- Coordinate with other PTA councils on legislative action
- Include media and business community in legislative issues that affect our schools
- Sponsor informational seminars with persons such as State PTA lobbyists to help us become more effective advocates
- Inform parent population and community as to how school financing operates and how current legislative proposals affect the schools within the San Ramon Valley Council
- Monitor and distribute information regarding legislation which affects our schools
- Provide parent population and community with accurate information and action strategy as it pertains to key issues
- Write letters to legislature regarding our position on key issues
- Meet with our legislators to discuss legislative issues affecting children, including annual legislative trips to Sacramento
How You Can Help
For more information contact: